Water damage… It always happens suddenly, and without warning … Toilets overflowing, household appliances malfunctioning, water pipes breaking, leaking roofs or windows, Spring flooding… And now you have to make a decision: “Do I submit a claim to my insurance company? If it’s not a covered loss, do I try to clean it up myself?” Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- DON’T WAIT. The longer the affected areas are wet, the greater the amount of damage. Water doesn’t just sit there … it spreads. If carpeting is involved, it doesn’t take long for it to seep into the pad, the subflooring, then up the walls or paneling. Once those are damp, the potential for mold and mildew growth is just hours away.
- DON’T EXPECT IT TO “Air-Dry.” One of the most common problems we encounter comes from the homeowner's decision to “see if it’ll just dry out by itself.” Yes, we do have a dry climate - outside – but not necessarily inside our homes. Usually we’re called in when the carpet is “starting to smell” which means mold and mildew has already started. Because of the potential health hazards, that usually means you will have to discard the carpet and pad, and replace it with new – An expensive proposition that could have been avoided! Even if it’s a “covered loss,” your insurance company may deny your claim because you waited too long.
- THINKING ABOUT SELLING YOUR HOME IN THE FUTURE? Then keep in mind that you may have to disclose information on past water damage, and you will have to prove it was properly remediated. If a Home Inspection discovers mold is present, the potential buyer will insist that it is taken care of, and it could hold up the sale of your home.
The key is getting the materials and structure of your home dried out as fast as possible.
Here’s what our trained technicians will do immediately to keep potential damage to a minimum:
- First, we’ll extract the affected areas, using high-powered extraction tools – Much more effective than any shop vac you might think about using.
- Next, we’ll apply a safe antimicrobial agent, if necessary, to retard potential microbial growth.
- We will block any furniture in the area, to prevent permanent staining on your carpeting.
- Using moisture-detecting equipment, we’ll determine the extent of the affected areas, checking adjoining rooms, ceilings and walls.
- Then, we will set up specialized drying equipment: High-powered drying fans to evaporate the water, Dehumidifiers to extract damaging humidity from the air – We even have floor and wall-drying equipment. When large areas are affected, we can use directed-heat drying equipment.
- We will return at regular intervals to monitor the drying process and adjust the drying equipment.
- When the drying process is complete, we will clean and deodorize any affected carpeting.
- If you’ve filed an insurance claim, we will send complete documentation and photos of our procedures to your insurance company.
Call us and schedule a Moisture or Mold inspection in your home. We charge a nominal fee for this service, and payment is due at the time of service. We will perform a thorough moisture check, determine the scope of any water damage, and write up an estimate for any work that should be done. If you decide you would like to hire us after all, we will apply the cost of this inspection to your job. Of course, we’ll also answer any questions you might have along the way.
For your peace of mind, and to avoid any potential future mold or health issues in your home, call Disaster Recovery at (307) 686-0078 right away and schedule a MOISTURE or MOLD INSPECTION. FOR MORE INFO read our Articles on our BLOG page.Emergency Water Damage Cleanup 24/7Despite the fact that flooding is statistically the most likely natural disaster that homeowners in the United States will face, many homeowners still lack a proper emergency plan. Without a plan and water damage restoration team in place, flooding in your home can quickly become the stuff that nightmares are made of.
Every homeowner should take the time to be prepared. Now would be a good time to add our phone number to your existing emergency contacts list: DISASTER RECOVERY - (307) 686-0078. Yes, we're open 24/7 for emergencies!
Disaster Recovery is proud to be the service our community trusts to provide for all of their Gillette, Wyoming water damage restoration needs since 1998. Our water damage restoration team has seen the worst of the worst. We know first hand that, although the flooding itself can be a challenging event, it is nothing compared to the nightmare that follows without proper water damage restoration techniques. There are many complications that can arise, which will only grow worse the longer you wait to bring in a professional water damage restoration team.
If you are in the midst of your own flood’s aftermath, it is likely you have already suffered irreparable losses, such as damage to beloved old photos and your contents. While our water damage restoration experts cannot reverse what has already happened, they can prevent secondary water damage and exposure to rot, mold, and bacteria that not only threatens the structural integrity of your home, but everyone in it. Our water damage restoration professionals will make sure your home is dried out to manage and remove these health risks.
Give Disaster Recovery a call today to discuss our Gillette, WY water damage restoration services. We look forward to serving you!